* Low Carb, Gluten-Free PLUS *Dairy Free & *Nut Free Options
- 250g 100% natural unsweetened peanut or almond butter, with the oil removed from the top of the jar (*Nut Free option – use tahini or sunflower seed butter)
- 60g 100% pure whey protein powder (*Dairy-Free option – use plant sourced protein powder such as Sun Warrior Raw Vegan Protein Powder)
- 60g plant protein protein (such as PeaPro pea protein powder)
- 100g unflavoured Greek yoghurt (*Dairy Free option – use coconut cream)
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 25g chia seeds
- 50g Natvia, (or preferred NATURAL sweetener to taste)
- 100g sugar-free dark chocolate. I used my homemade stevia-sweetened dark chocolate (roughly based on this recipe but using liquid stevia instead of rapadura – http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2012/17575/how-to-make-chocolate.) …But you can cheat by using “Well Naturally” brand stevia-sweetened dark chocolate, available at most major supermarkets in the health food section.
- 2 tsps of coconut oil
- ¼ cup Flaked almonds, plus extra to garnish the top (*Nut Free option – use flaked or shredded coconut)
- Place all the ingredients, excluding the chocolate and flaked almonds, into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse (TM - Turbo) until combined. If the mixture is a little too dry, add a little more yoghurt/coconut cream to achieve a consistency that can easily be rolled and patted down easily. Press mixture into a tray lined with baking paper or foil. Place in the refrigerator to firm up for about 30 – 60 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave (i just stick it in a coffee mug) for about 30 secs or in a bowl over gently simmering water, then stir with teaspoon until smooth. (TM - Break the chocolate into the TM bowl and melt with the coconut oil on Speed 2, 50 degrees for 4 minutes.) Cool slightly.
- Add the flaked almonds/coconut to your melted chocolate and pour over the refrigerated slab. Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top. Refrigerate for a further 30 – 60 minutes.
- Once set, cut into bars or squares as desired. A hot clean knife will make this an easier and neater process. (I also find it helps to lift the entire slab out of the tray and onto a board to make this step easier – and kinder on your knives!)
- Store bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Or for a convenient portable snack, wrap bars individually in cling wrap and store in freezer until needed.