Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Sugar Free
- 1 medium banana, peeled and mashed
- 1 medium apple, cored and roughly chopped in small pieces
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 heaped tbsp (30g) plant-sourced protein powder (I used Pure PeaPro pea protein powder by Protein Supplies Australia)
- 30 ml grapeseed or flaxseed oil
- 60 – 80 ml water
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted walnuts chopped roughly
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Mash a banana on the bottom of a bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and gently mix by hand. You want the consistency of a thick cake batter. Because protein powders vary, you may need to adjust the amount of water that goes in – so add that gradually.
- Transfer into muffin tray/cups. Fill the cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 mins, or until you can insert a toothpick into the middle and it comes out clean. Always best to slightly under bake rather than over bake to avoid dryness – mine were still slightly wet in the middle when I took them out but completed cooking when left to stand for 10 minutes afterwards.
Makes about 12 small muffins