*Dairy Free, Nut Free, Refined Sugar Free, Vegan, **Gluten Free option
*Thermomix Instructions provided in bold italics
- 200g Coconut Oil (or good quality butter can be used if dairy tolerant) *Reserve 20g to melt with your chocolate at the end.
- 150g Coconut Sugar
- 200g Rice Malt Syrup (date syrup and raw honey are both good substitutes)
- 60g Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 60g Sunflower Seeds
- 100g Desiccated Coconut
- 200g Vita Brits (or use oat bix for a lower GI option, but NOT GF option. **Gluten Free Vita Brits or Weetbix maybe used for GF option)
- 200g Sugar-Free Chocolate (I use Well Naturally stevia-sweetened chocolate chips (found in health food section of most supermarkets and in health food stores.) You may wish to instead use another brand of good quality dark chocolate.
- Lightly grease a 22 x 30cm rectangular slice tin, or similar (coconut oil spray is great for this!) and line with baking paper.
- Place the coconut oil (*or butter), coconut sugar and syrup (*or honey) to a small saucepan and melt together over medium heat, stirring until smooth. (TM – 5mins/ Varoma /speed 2)
- Add melted mix to a large bowl containing all of the remaining ingredients (except chocolate) and combine with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined (TM – simply add remaining ingredients (except chocolate) to TM bowl 30 sec / speed 2. For younger children and fussy older ones I recommend processing the mix for a further 5-7 secs/ Speed 5 for a smoother texture.)
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan. *TIP: Lay another piece of baking paper over the top of your slice and, using the upturned lid of your coconut oil spray (the flat side) use a circular motion to press and flatten your mix firmly into the tray. This will ensure that your bars will bind well and they will look SO much better too 😉
- Melt together the chocolate and the reserved coconut oil or butter. Either in a double boiler or in the Thermomix. (TM – Grate chocolate for 5 secs / speed 8. Add coconut oil and melt for 2 minutes at 60˚C on speed 3, or until melted.) Pour the melted chocolate evenly over the base and leave for least an hour (overnight is best!)
- When cooled, lift entire slab out of tray and place on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut into bars. Place into a sealed container in the fridge or wrap individually and freeze for convenient lunch box fillers.
Makes about 24 bars