*Gluten Free, Dairy Free
Prep and cook time – around 30 mins
Ingredients (organic is BEST):
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced (all veggies diced to 1/2 cm cubes)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced (Don’t throw the tops away – chop them up and throw that in too for extra flavour a nutritional value!
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 handful of parsley, finely chopped (or a combination of dill and parsley)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 750 ml (3 cups) Fish or Chicken stock
- ½ tsp. saffron threads soaked in a little water (optional – but it does add a lovely colour & flavour)
- 250 ml (1 cup) coconut milk (or creamy Greek Yogurt if you can tolerate dairy)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 rashers of free-range bacon, finely diced (optional)
- 40g Extra virgin olive oil (or good quality butter if dairy tolerant) plus extra for frying – I use a bit of both for best flavour and to prevent butter burning.
- 1 kg fresh mixed seafood (including some nice chunks of boneless fish)
- If you are using the bacon, pan fry it in a little butter until it is crispy, then remove, place on some kitchen towel and save until the end (cook the vegies in the same pan to soak up the bacon flavour).
- Pan fry the celery, onion and carrot in butter until soft (don’t brown it though). Add the sweet potato and continue to fry for 3 min, Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes (add a bit more butter if the pan is to dry).
- Next add the stock and soaked saffron and bring to a simmer. Cover your pan and cook until the sweet potatoes are cooked (10 mins or so).
- Add your coconut cream/yogurt and continue to simmer on a low heat, season to taste.
- Pan fry your seafood for a couple of mins. Add the cooked fish to the chowder mixture and stir through.
- To finish, add some lemon juice (not all at once, keep tasting for acidity), then scatter over over the chopped parsley/dill, give it a final twist of pepper and finally throw the crispy bacon bits on if you have them.
- Serve with a large serving of green veg like broccoli to get the nutrient content through the roof – Yum!
- Place the parsley (and/or dill) into TM bowl and chop 3 sec / speed 7. Set aside.
- Place onion and garlic into TM bowl and chop 3 sec / speed 7.
- Add to TM bowl 40 g olive oil and sauté 3 mins / Varoma /speed 1.
- Add carrots, sweet potato, celery and sauté 5 mins / Reverse / speed 1.
- Add stock and soaked saffron (including soaking water) and cook 15 mins / 100C / Reverse / speed 1.
- If you are using the bacon, heat a little olive oil in a large saucepan pan fry it until it is crispy, then remove, place on some kitchen towel and save until the end.
- In the same saucepan, sauté your seafood for a couple of mins. Add the contents of your TM jug and stir through the coconut cream. Simmer 10 mins.
- To finish, add some lemon juice (not all at once, keep tasting for acidity), scatter over the chopped parsley/dill, give it a final twist of pepper and finally throw the crispy bacon bits on if you have them.