*Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian
• 8 large free range eggs
• ¼ cup milk (I used full cream milk but unsweetened almond milk a good substitute)
• Salt & Pepper
• 1 medium onion finely diced
• About 10 medium mushrooms, halved & finely sliced
• LOTS of fresh herbs – I used a small handful each of Thyme, Marjoram, Chives and Oregano from the garden
• Bunch of Kale, stems removed, chopped roughly
• Freshly ground sea salt & pepper
• 150g mozzarella, torn into chunks
• 150g feta, sliced (goat’s is best but I used Danish feta on this particular occasion)
• Extra finely chopped chives (and flowers if you have them!) to garnish
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
2. Fry onions with a bit of olive oil in a large non-stick fry pan over medium heat. When starting onions are to soften, add the mushrooms, and brown. Stir through kale and combine. Cover until the kale turns a vibrant green and has wilted slightly (just about a minute or two). Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large bowl whisk your eggs together with the milk and season with salt & pepper and any herbs you want to use.
4. Pour the mushroom mix into the eggs and combine well. Pour the whole lot back into the pan and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or you can see edges starting to brown. Sprinkle over the cheeses.
5. Remove from cooktop and transfer to grill. Grill for another 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted and egg is just cooked through.
6. Remove from grill, garnish with your chopped chives and serve immediately with your favourite relish, hot sauce or as is…
*Experiment with whatever vegetables are in season or needing to be used up in the fridge – reduce that shopping bill and your carbon footprint!