*Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Vegetarian
- ½ small onion finely diced
- About 4 medium mushrooms, halved & finely sliced
- ¼ bunch of Kale, stems removed, chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs – I used a combination thyme and chives from the garden J
- 2 large free range eggs
- 2 tbsp milk (I used full cream milk but unsweetened almond milk a good substitute)
- Freshly ground sea salt & pepper
- 50g Bulgarian feta, crumbled (or feta of your choice)
- 30g grated mozzarella
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Fry onions with a bit of olive oil in a small non-stick fry pan over medium heat. When starting onions are to soften, add the mushrooms, and brown. Stir through kale and combine. Cover until the kale turns a vibrant green and has wilted slightly (just about a minute or two). Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk your eggs together with the milk and season with salt & pepper and any herbs you want to use.
- Pour the mushroom mix into the eggs and combine well. Wipe your non-stick pan over with some kitchen towel and then pour the egg mixture in and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or you can see edges starting to brown. Sprinkle top with the cheeses.
- Remove from cooktop and transfer to grill. Grill for another 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted and egg is just cooked through.
- Remove from grill. Loosen omelette edges from surface using a spatula and gently fold over to form a “D” shape.
- Serve immediately with, salt & pepper, your favourite relish, hot sauce or as is…
*Experiment with whatever vegetables are in season or needing to be used up in the fridge – reduce that shopping bill and your carbon footprint! 😉