*Low Carb, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free
- 9 large free range eggs
- ¼ cup milk (I used full cream milk but unsweetened almond milk a good substitute)
- Salt & Pepper and herbs as desired
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- About 10 medium mushrooms, halved & finely sliced
- Fresh herbs – I used Thyme and Oregano from the garden
- 250g pkt of frozen spinach steamed, squeezed dry & chopped roughly
- ½ cup chopped red capsicums (peppers)
- 4 slices lean middle bacon, diced and dry fried until crisp. (Optional)
- 12 x 20g cubes of cheese (Optional. Gruyere is a great choice but tasty, mozzarella, feta, goats all will work well!)
- In a large bowl or jug whisk your eggs together with the milk and season with salt & pepper and any herbs you want to use. A stick mixer is a quick and easy way of doing this directly in the jug – less washing up! Pour mixture into a jug if you used a bowl for the whisking part. Set aside.
- Fry onions with a bit of olive oil in a large fry pan. When starting onions are to soften, add the mushrooms, capsicums and whatever other vegetables you like!) and brown. Stir through spinach.
- Fill each case with your vegie mixture.
- Press a cube of cheese, and a few bits of bacon (if using) into each quiche.
- Pour egg mixture into each case until it’s about 2/3 full.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 20 – 25 mins.
- Enjoy hot or cold.
*Experiment with whatever vegetables are in season or needing to be used up in the fridge – reduce that shopping bill and your carbon footprint! 😉