*Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free (omit icing)
- 2 whole oranges (use blood or Cara oranges for optimal results!) – tops removed and scored with a cross about 3cm deep
- 6 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract/essence
- 170g Natvia for Baking
- 250g almonds (or almond meal if you are not using a Thermomix or other high torque blender)
- 3 tsp baking powder (Ensure it is a Gluten free brand if allergies are a consideration)
- Pinch of sea or pink Himalayan salt
- 3 tbsp. chia seeds, soaked in 60ml water for about 30mins
Place the prepared oranges in boiling water. Cover and simmer for 50 minutes.
Soak your chia seeds in the 60ml water.
Preheat the oven to 170C
Place your almond meal, Natvia, baking powder and salt in a food processor bowl and mix to combine. (TM – place almonds in TM bowl 10sec / speed 9 then add Natvia, baking powder and salt and process further 5 sec / speed 9.) Add eggs and vanilla and process until combined. (TM 5 sec / speed 7 – scrape and repeat.)
Drain the boiled oranges well. Add to your food processor and purée together with the other ingredients along with your soaked chia seeds. (TM – 10 sec / Speed 9 – repeat if necessary to smooth out any lumps.)
Pour the mixture into about 18 lightly greased silicone muffin pans (I grease mine with coconut oil. You can use paper cases if preferred.)
Bake in the oven for about 25 – 30 minutes or until firm but still moist.
Leave to cool for about 10 minutes then turn onto a wire rack and cool.
For best results, finish with some piped *Angelic Cream Cheese Icing (recipe to follow) and a sprinkling of chia seeds.
Enjoy!! Makes about 18 cupcakes
Angelic Cream Cheese Icing
- ⅓ cup (50g) Natvia Icing Mix
- 180g European-Style cottage cheese at room temperature (Not the kind that comes in a tub! I use Brancourt’s brand from Costco), or Philadelphia Light Cream Cheese.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (you also use coconut cream but it will not set as firm)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Few drops of doTerra lemon essential oil (optional but fabulous!)
Place the icing mix and cottage cheese into your food processor and blend on a medium speed until smooth. (TM – 10 Sec / Speed 5)
Add the coconut oil and lemon juice. Process further until a smooth and silky consistency is achieved – a good 20-30 seconds in a high speed food processor mix should do it. (TM – 10 Sec / Speed 8, scrape down and repeat.)
Spread or pipe onto top of muffins and garnish with a sprinkling of chia seeds