*Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Low-Carb.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 300g button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves chopped fresh garlic
- Freshly ground salt & pepper
- ½ tsp. Ground nutmeg
- 6-8 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves only)
- 10 large free range eggs
- 50g creamy Greek yogurt
- 200g crumbled goat’s milk feta (I like Bulgarian)
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- *3 yellow or red capsicums, roasted, peeled and deseeded/cored (*see easy method below)
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese (or tasty or fresh Parmesan – I just use mozzarella because it is naturally much lower in fat than the others.)
- Extra thyme leaves to garnish
- Preheat oven to 220C
- Add olive oil into a 30-35cm non-stick pan and sauté the onions over medium heat. Add mushrooms garlic and sauté until mushrooms have browned. Season with salt, pepper and thyme and take off heat.
- Spread your cooked mushroom mixture evenly over the base of a deep oven tray. (I like to use my rectangular 20cm x 25cm silicone cake pan for this as it’s completely non-stick and requires no grease or paper lining. If you are using a tin I recommend using an olive oil spray to prevent sticking.)
- Beat eggs in a bowl. Add the yogurt and season with a little salt pepper and nutmeg. Add grated zucchini combine well and pour carefully over the mushroom mixture in the pan.
- Top with the feta, then place slices of the roasted capsicum evenly on top.
- Sprinkle to top of your frittata with grated mozzarella cheese (or your preferred choice of cheese).
- Cook in a hot oven (220C) for about 25 – 30 minutes. Take the frittata out of the oven and let it cool.
- Serve as an appetiser cut into cubes garnished with a little fresh Thyme or in larger slices for a delicious breakfast, lunch … or even dinner!
* Roast whole peppers (AKA Capsicums) under grill until skin blisters and blacken. Keep turning until evenly blackened all over. Using tongs, place hot capsicums in bowl; cover bowl tightly with cling wrap and stand to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove wrap and peel away skins (..they should slide right off!)