*Gluten -free, Dairy-free, Refined Sugar-free, Egg-Free
- 100g (1/2 cup) raw unsalted Brazil nuts
- 100g (1/2 cup) raw unsalted almonds
- 50g (2.5 tbsp) pure maple or rice malt syrup
- 50g (2 tbsp.) pure almond butter
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 80g (1/4 cup) tahini
- 80g (1/4 cup) unsweetened peanut butter (to make your own http://www.fitnessfoodie.com.au/?page_id=2081)
- 160g (1/2 cup) pure maple or rice malt syrup
- 20g (1 heaped tbsp.) coconut oil, gently melted
- Good grinding of pink Himalayan or sea salt
- 15g (2 tbsp.) coconut or tapioca flour
- 100g sugar-free dark chocolate or your choice of refined sugar-free dark chocolate. (I used Well Naturally” brand stevia-sweetened dark chocolate, available at most major supermarkets in the health food section.)
- 2 tsps. of coconut oil
- Line a small slice tin (approx. 23 x 20cm) with a bit of coconut oil spray and baking paper (make sure there is enough hanging over the edges to take hold of when it’s time to remove the slice from the tray) and set aside.
- Place Brazil nuts and almonds into a food processor and process until fine. (TM – 5 sec / speed 7)
- Add the syrup, almond butter, and vanilla and process until a nice pliable dough forms – one that you can press together easily with your fingers. (TM – 10 sec / speed 5)
- Press the base mixture evenly into your lined tin. (*If you are a bit of a perfectionist like me, here’s a hot tip for a perfectly flat and smooth base – take another piece of baking paper, place it over the top and take the lid of your coconut oil, flip it and use the flat side to smooth out the base using a swirling motion. Better than using the back of the spoon because it’s nice and flat and the circular motion makes evening it out super easy!) Place base in fridge while you prepare the centre.
- Blend all of the ingredients except the flour together in your food processor bowl until smooth (TM – 10 sec / speed 7)
- Add the flour and mix well. (TM – 10 sec / speed 7)
- Pour the caramel onto your prepared base and put back into the fridge whilst your prepare the topping.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave for about 30 secs, stir until smooth. (TM – Grate chocolate for 5 secs / speed 8. Add coconut oil and melt for 2 minutes at 60˚C on speed 3, or until melted.) Cool slightly.
- Pour the melted chocolate evenly over the caramel and leave to set overnight (if you can wait that long … I couldn’t)
- To serve, remove from tray by lifting our by the edges of the overhanging baking paper. Place the slice onto a large chopping board and use a hot & dry knife to slice into squares.