*Gluten Free, Low Carb.
- 6 large open Portobello mushrooms, stems removed (Capsicums and other vegetables may also be used. Other good options are tomatoes, eggplants, zucchinis, squash… Whatever’s going!)
- Cooking spray
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (or a nice chunky homemade tomato sauce if you happen to have some on hand. Recipe below if you want to make some!)
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs plus pinch of dried chilli (use fresh if you have!)
- 2 medium zucchinis diced into small cubes
- 200g fresh Quark cheese (or you can substitute with ricotta)
- 100g sharp tasty cheese.
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 100g (½ cup) sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 100g (small handful) roughly chopped walnuts or pecans (I used a bit of both becuase that's what I had in the panty!)
- 125g blue cheese
- Salt & Pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Open the can of tomatoes and stir in the herbs and chilli. Lightly spray your oven tray, and cover base of tray with herbed tomato sauce.
- Place your diced zucchini in a freezer bag. Knot the bag and microwave on high for 2 mins until zucchini is al dente.
- Combine the cooked zucchini in a bowl with the ricotta, egg, sundried tomatoes, cheeses and seasonings in a bowl.
- Fill mushrooms with this mixture.
- In a food processor combine the blue cheese and walnuts and process until crumbly
- Distribute the topping mixture evenly across the tops of the stuffed mushrooms.
- Place in oven for about 30 minutes or until they become brown.
*Mel’s Thermomix Chunky Spicy Tomato Sauce Recipe
Blend on 8 sec / Speed 5
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 birds eye chillis
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium zucchini
- 40g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
7 mins / Varoma/ Speed 3-4
- 1.3 kg fresh tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. Natvia (or preferred sweetener)
- 1 tbsp. Dried Oregano
- 1 tbsp. Dried Basil
- 1 tbsp. Concentrated vegetable stock (I used the TM everyday cookbook version)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 100g tomato paste (triple concentrate)
30mins / Varoma / Speed 1
Taste, season if required and use as required and store remaining sauce in airtight jars in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
*Blue cheese can be substituted for a mozzarella or Swiss cheese if preferred.